Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 6 09 2:34 PM

Tags : :

If a kanji is out of order, or if it should have certain warning tags but doesn't, or if there are dead links, please report it here.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 25 09 10:17 PM

honorable - KETSU

the radical is wrong, you mention it uses "enjoy a drink / smoke" but it does not. Enjoy a drink / smoke has "mouth+master+blade+big" while this kanji uses water + "master+blade+string"

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 3 09 2:44 AM

For 古 you have 訓:ふり*い: old. It should read ふる*い, obviously.

Also, I'm curious, some of the jukugo are extremely obscure, for example:
皆無:かいむ: nothing at all, nil. (NP)

Since one of the motivations behind creating this book was too eliminate unnecessary work in memorizing useless information, I'd imagine that entries like the above example are due to their being a lack of more common forms that demonstrate the unique yomi of the kanji?

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Mar 4 09 6:19 AM

about 3 people told me i spelled 'furui' wrong - i'll correct that soon!

and about the useless jukugo - i'll cut a lot of them during the next round of revisions. right now i got my japanese friends vetting the various example words.

kaimu definitely is gonna get the axe - thanks for bringing it to my attention.

however, like you said, some less-than-helpful example words are gonna stay in the dictionarY, in the cases like this;'this kanji has one useful jukugo that you should learn, but ALL ITS OTHER JUKUGOS have this TOTALLY OTHER meaning, which is XXXX.'. So every once in a while, i'll have to include XXXX , but i'll make a note that y'all don't got to really learn XXXX !

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jul 3 09 2:12 PM

Under 単 - merely
簡単な:たんかんな
It should be かんたんな
(By the way, the one under "簡 ー simplicity" is correct)

A typo under 水 - water
水曜日:すいびょうび:Wednesday

Under 淡 - faint, pale
淡白:たんぱんく
Rikaichan says たんぱく

Under 沿 - run parallel to
訓:にそ*う:
A space is missing after the particle

Under 草 - grass
The link to radical early doesn't work.

A pronunciation missing under: 穴 hole.
穴場:穴場: good place known to few, a hole-in-the-wall (**)

Under 向 - turn to face
訓:をむ*く:
A space missing.

Under 同 - same
同音異義語:ごうおんいぎご: homonym
ごう => どう

Under 収 - get
訓: をおさ*める -get,
Space missing

Typo under 思 - think
思い出せない:おみだせない: I don't remember
___________^^^

Pronunciation missing under 階 ー story of a building
階級 - social class. (working class, middle, and rich)

Under 丸 - round
日弾丸:だんがん: bullet
の丸:ひのまる : the Japanese flag.
日 got in the wrong entry.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Sep 17 09 3:16 PM

Under 扱 - treatment
「取合解説舞所:とりあつかい せつめいしょ: (FP)」
Should be:
「取扱説明書」. You must a' been drunk for that one.

Speaking of being drunk, "always fuck a duck...Anyway i lAyup anArchy" has been under 「十」 for like a year. But maybe that's an easter egg, in which case i'm an ass for just giving it away. Moving on....

Under 安 - cheap / safe
(tag: FR)
_Not_ FR. In chinese, 「安」 means safe (not cheap). Women are safe.
I imagine that "cheap" came about because things that were cheap were also considered safe purchases.
That said, i did get a kick out of seeing 「安」 tattooed on the back of that chick's neck in "transporter 3".

Under 事 - action / incident
大事 is だいじ not だいじい

Under 実 - TRUTH
実 - not "master tree" - no trunk.

Under 四 - the numeral 4
4月 is april, not march. (ahem)

速 - 音 is SOKU, not SOU.

度 - 音 is DO, not DOU.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Oct 1 09 10:08 AM

I feel kind of bad, because although I've gone through the whole of Kanji Dicks, I didn't think to make a note of any mistakes / omissions / typos until I was almost done. Anyway, here are the ones I can remember (and feel free to ignore me here if you think I'm talking nonsense - some of these aren't 'mistakes', they're actually just 'my own completely biased opinions'):

- 誤 - 誤る should mean 'make a mistake', not 'apologise' (which is 謝る)

- 訪 - I think you should include 訪れる(おとずれる)as well as 訪ねる (たずねる)- I'm not sure if the first one is more formal, but in newspapers and so on, it seems to be used a lot more - almost all the time, in fact.

- 射 - I think you've missed a trick here - the easiest way to remember this one is with 顔射 which I'll leave you to look up!

- 嫌 - The kun-yomis for this entry should also include 嫌い (きらい)

- 以 - I'm going to be really pedantic and take issue with your definitions for some of the jukugo here:

- 以内 means 'within', not 'less than' (ie. 'I'll be there within ten minutes') - 'less than' is 以下
- 以外 means 'except' or 'apart from', not 'more than' (ie. 'everybody except gaijin can enter this soap house') - 'more than' is one of the meanings of 以上
- 以前 means 'beforehand' or 'before', not 'in the past' (ie. 'please wash your hands before leaving the scat party' - seems to be used most of the time with a に after it)

- 微 - it depends on the context, of course, but 微妙 really does mean 'subtle’ or 'delicate' a fair percentage of the time, even though the 'meh' meaning is now a lot more common - particularly in conversation

- 'tiger' radical - this one is called 'tiger' in the textbooks because of the kanji for tiger - ie. 虎

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jan 13 10 1:53 AM

Newbie here. Your dictionary is a godsend for an independent study, but as I go through your dictionary, I keep finding stars by jyuukugo or "(no stars!)"

and the only reference to asterisks in your glossary refers to the usefulness rating. Does this apply to the jyuukugo as well?

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Feb 8 10 11:19 AM

http://kanjidamage.com/tags/3

This shows only one entry with the BOOBOO tag. OTOH, there are entries like http://kanjidamage.com/japanese_symbols/30 and http://kanjidamage.com/japanese_symbols/7 which have a BOOBOO note in their jukugo examples that doesn't seem to be tagged.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Feb 9 10 3:21 PM

Not sure if you intend to extend the DUPE list to cover kanji compounds but if you do, 規準 and 基準 should qualify. Those two are used in the jukugo examples so they might actually be confusing to people using the site.

Other candidates for the DUPE list:

空き / 明き
降りる / 下りる

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Feb 24 10 2:36 PM

I'm just a beginner really but my Japanese friend contested your FP tag on the いち reading of 市 and said that 株式市場 is more commonly read かぶしき しじょう. I took note, because I live in 市川 (いちかわ), in Chiba, but my friend also mentioned that the いち reading is used in relatively useful words such as 闇市 (やみいち) and 朝市 (あさいち).

Let me add - thanks for the dictionary it keeps me entertained as I study

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Mar 2 10 3:17 PM

Tag page typo?

"So if you see a kanji with the 可 radical inside it, (i.e.苛、何, 河, or 歌 )most likely their ONyomi will also be SHI. " This should be "ka," right?

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Apr 1 10 11:20 AM

@ everyone - thanks for your input! All your suggestions are rad and I fixed the problems, as best I could. I really appreciate your help and sorry if I didn't reply sooner.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Apr 10 10 1:22 PM

http://kanjidamage.com/japanese_symbols/1730
onslaught

Also includes image (beret)

(or cloth (kick in the nuts + beret))

Maybe the mnemonic could be "An ancient Chinese dragon kicking anyone with a beret in the nuts with both SHOES? That is an onslaught, my friend."

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

May 23 10 4:16 AM

尿 is にょう, not にょ (for the 音読み)

I've learned about 600 kanji from your old kanjidamage so far and I'm transitioning over to the new one right now, what happened to 屁 and 妾? Those ones were great

Do you have a paypal link somewhere so I can buy you a beer or something when I finish with all of them?

edit: Also for 極 in the 訓読み part you converted it to kanji instead of leaving it as きわ*める, i had to look it up in the dictionary (god forbid).
Under 歴: 歴史 ( りきし ) - nope, りきし is a 力士. That's れきし

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help